Book Title: Teaching Essentials: Expecting the Most and Getting the Best from Every Learner, K-8
Author: Regie Routman
- Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
- The Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Continuum, Expanded Edition: A Tool for Assessment, Planning, and Teaching, PreK-8
- The Continuum of Literacy Learning, Grades PreK-8, Second Edition: A Guide to Teaching
- The Reading Specialist, Third Edition: Leadership and Coaching for the Classroom, School, and Community
- Differentiation in Action: A Complete Resource With Research-Supported Strategies to Help You Plan and Organize Differentiated Instruction and Achieve ... All Learners (Scholastic Teaching Strategies)
- Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well
- Simple Starts: Making the Move to a Reader-Centered Classroom
- 25 Quick Formative Assessments for a Differentiated Classroom: Easy, Low-Prep Assessments That Help You Pinpoint Students' Needs and Reach All Learners
- Writing Essentials: Raising Expectations and Results While Simplifying Teaching
- Be Different: My Adventures with Asperger's and My Advice for Fellow Aspergians, Misfits, Families, and Teachers
What makes a teacher outstanding? More than anything, it's a way of being with kids in the classroom that lets them know they're smart and capable of high achievement. When you combine this mind-set with effective instruction, teaching and learning are transformed. In Teaching Essentials, Regie Routman gives us as much of a blueprint for achieving this powerful, responsive teaching as we're ever going to get.
Drawing on her extensive work with students who have excelled against great odds, Regie shares the principles and practices that help all students and teachers reach their full potential. Teaching Essentials shows teachers and principals how to build an efficient and joyful practice by:
- setting lessons and activities in a meaningful context
- using an Optimal Learning Model to organize teaching and gradually release responsibility to students
- demonstrating reading, writing, and thinking for students so they have explicit models to follow
- articulating high expectations for every student, including ELLs and struggling learners, and ensuring that they meet them
- embedding assessment into all aspects of instruction and planning
- employing the reading-writing connection to improve comprehension
- motivating writers by always writing for real audiences and purposes
- implementing a schoolwide coaching model for higher achievement and a more fulfilling collaboration with colleagues.
A companion website, www.regieroutman.com, provides additional information, including a downloadable, easy-to-use study guide to promote professional conversations and video clips of Regie teaching so you can view and review the language and routines behind engaging, responsive instruction and learning. The Teaching Essentials book and website are ideal for individual, whole school, and districtwide professional development.